Followers

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

When it rains, it pours!

 About three weeks ago, the gentleman who was doing most of the remodeling in our home, and then our neighbor's unit, used the expression "When it rains it pours" to describe the fact that after days of no work in our house, all of a sudden there were three different people here at the same time, working on three different projects.
  He is a very nice man, quiet and hardworking, yet pleasant and smiley.  It was always nice to see him around here (although uncle Mark felt I really did need to get a job when I told him how nice it was to chat with my friend Pat, the handyman). 
  In my quest to patience and waiting to find the right job(s) I started thinking a lot about that expression.  On several occasions, I actually thought " I hope that it will pour.  I hope that right now I can't find any employment because eventually I will have so many options I won't know what to do."
''Careful what you wish for" my grandma always used to say to me.
Here I find myself today, a storm of possibilities ravaging my thoughts.  When I wished for this, I had no idea how much it was actually going to rain...
  Last Saturday I went in for a second interview at a busy local restaurant.  I had a great time, the people who worked there seemed very nice, and it is an institution here in Sonoma, so getting a job there ensures some security.  Later that day, my former  Yoga teachers (the ones that ran the teacher training program I completeded) invited me to their Yoga retreat house here in town, and offered me a job with them.  It is rather ideal, except for the fact that my hours depend entirely on their trainings.  If they have an ongoing training, I will be working a good amount of hours.  If they don't, I will be working just a few.  The pay per hour is generous, and the work environment is beautiful and peaceful.
 Yesterday,  I started training at a local yoga studio to work the desk.  As in most studios, you trade your time at work for classes, workshops and other goods.  The manager is a wonderful woman, and just being around her for a few hours made me realize this was going to be a great thing for me.  Get my foot in the door, meet like minded people in our new community,  gain my confidence in teaching, perfect.
 After that, I went for an interview at the local Whole Foods.  For those of you who don't know, I have been wanting to work at Whole Foods for quite a while now.  I love food, I love alternatives when it comes to food, and I really want to learn how the retail side of food works.  What does it take to run a market like that?
 I interviewed with two different people, the store manager and the Produce team leader, and both went well.  They will contact me at the end of the week with an answer, and I left feeling hopeful and grateful.
 As I was leaving, I checked my phone and noticed I had a message from a local number I wasn't familiar with. It was the manager at the restaurant I interviewed on Saturday, asking me to call her back to figure out a schedule for me to start working with them.
 I rode my bike home rather fast.   I was hungry, and my mind was going a million miles an hour.  Should I turn down the position at the busy restaurant because it's not what I want? It seems like I have a pattern of responsability that makes me always take the jobs at the "best restaurant in town" and then I find mysef miserable in them.
 Should I risk it with the part time at the Yoga retreat house and hope that I get the part time position at Whole Foods?  When we decided to move here I put it out in the universe that I wanted to work part time in food and part time in Yoga. Hello?! Kinda' seems as if that is what I would be getting out of this deal!
 After getting home and having lunch with my husband while we discussed these options, I found myself a little overwhelmed and unsettled.  I went for a walk, I spoke to my parents, but still felt rattled.  So I went to our spare room, lit a candle, lit some incense, and practiced yoga and meditation for a while.  I found my peace, and was ready to sit in our yard and hang out with my man.
 I checked my phone  (it doesn't ring, so I check it on a semi regular basis to see if anyone has called) and found a message from my former boss. He never leaves me messages. I played it and heard his serious voice telling me that he had a "work related question for me".  I called him back, he didn't answer.  He called me back, and luckily the phone was still in my hand so I saw it coming in and picked up.
 Somehow that man has the strange power to change my life with just a few words.  He cares a lot about us, and he is generous in showing it, but this was way more rain than I had asked for.
 The work related question was more directed towards my husband than it was towards me.  One of the bartenders  at a very busy dowtown restaurant in San Francisco (where my husband has wanted to work for a while) is leaving, and before he set out to look for a replacement, he wanted to know if we were interested. No pressure.
Mind you, we moved here with the job my husband now has because it allowed us to have a job as soon as we got here, but he took a severe pay cut to do that, and the job itself has turned out to be less than ideal.
  Now on top of all my options, we actually have to consider the option of moving closer to the city, for him to change jobs.  This job would bring us really good  financial stability.  We are not really money people, which is exactly why we don't have any money.  And although money doesn't make happiness, it sure does help.  And if we don't jump at the opportunity to make money, then how the hell will we ever have money?
 But really? The same exact day I get an offer, an interview where I have always wanted to work, and start training at a Yoga studio? The same day!!!!???? I had actually been planning on calling this man's wife, to get some advice from her in my job decision making!
 This morning my husband said to me: " Do you know what sucks?" What? " When you try to sleep on something and instead you can't sleep because of it!"
  We are finally starting to fell at home in our new house.  We love it.  We love having a yard.  We love being in the country.  We love having so much space.  However, this town is seasonal.  And this is the season. 
So if we are not really making a lot of money during the season, chances are we will not be making a lot during the off seaon.  But we just moved!!!!!!! When do we get to stay somewhere???????
So here we are, in indecision land, weighing our options, lots of options, thinking of how many times, while we lived in Boston, my husband wished to get that phone call from my former boss. We think at least seven. 
 This is one of the times in life, where the line is very blurry, and you wish it was clearer.  The pros and the cons are both high on either end, and you feel that whichever decision you make, regret will surely ensue.
Today is my first day working at Nauliland, the retreat house.  So I will try to be present, and take it one minute at a time, as I go to my first "work" day since we moved here. I will bring with me an imaginary giant colorful umbrella, and hope that at least for today, it covers me from the rain, that I actually, somehow, wished for.

2 comments:

transformation5 said...

Wow! Well life certainly shows up now doesn't it :) congrats on all the great opportunties. Whatever decision you make will truly be a magical one, because it will be an experience of your life. Having known you for almost a decade now I can say you have grown even more magical over the years and I am so grateful to have had the joy of living next door/neighbors for most of that time. I love you girl!

Yo Mismo said...

Dios es bromista! así que empaque sus maletitas y buscate un apartamento con terraza!, el no ser un "money people" no significa no aprovechar las oportunidades!

además tu te sientes en casa, en casi cualquier sitio